Dear Diana and others interested.

I make mostly Bucks Point lace with fairly fine thread and I use two hitches sometime three. This maybe depends on the bobbin as some seem to slip.

I trouble understanding this. Surely you must be making your hitch incorrectly. I know we've discussed this here before on numerous occasions, and as Sr Claire said, she had been making her hitch wrongly for years.

I too do mainly point ground laces usually in very fine 2/20 silk, but sometimes in silk which is finer than human hair. I have never found the need for more than one hitch. Mind you, I also never use the heads on the bobbins, but put the single hitch on the thread itself. Stays beautifully all the time
Bye now
David in Ballarat