Wendy - I think from your description that you are doing two separate hitches on the bobbin, if so I can understand why it doesn't unroll easily.

Have you tried doing one hitch but with the thread going round the neck of the bobbin twice instead of once. I do that sometimes with some stubborn threads that don't want to stay on the bobbin and with some bobbins that don't want to hang on to the thread properly although I'm gradually weaning those out of my collection.

Malvary in Ottawa.