I take the pin out before the bottom pin of the final ground stitch,
the one that completes the 'diamond' shape perimeter of the crossing,
then tension all pairs, then do that last bottom pin. If you leave the
pin in for too long, a little blip shows in the middle of the spider.
Some might like that, others prefer a smooth appearance.

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west
coast of Canada