In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Wendy Davies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
When making spiders or any other stitch that needs a pin to hold the position
when do I know when to take the pin out to make it flatter.

If working a spider surrounded by ground stitches, then I always use the centre pin to work the bottom (last) ground stitch, then tension the pairs carefully. Remember to tension at the half way stage (before you put the centre pair in) as well.

Some spiders have more than one pin in the centre, these can be left in.

If your spider is surrounded by trails, or worked in spider ground, then it is a case of deciding when you have done sufficient to support the legs coming out of the spider, but not gone too far so that you cannot work out which pairs to tension. Always tension two legs together - one on one side, and the corresponding leg from the other.

There is nothing wrong with deciding that you like the effect of the raised centre, with pin hole, that results from leaving the pin in place. The finished lace should be something that when you look at it, *you* are pleased with the effect.

--
Jane Partridge