Dear Lacemakers,

In doing some research recently for a friend on Arachne, I came  across an
interesting paragraph in the biography by Natalie S. Bober,  "Abigail Adams -
Witness to a Revolution".  (She was the wife of the 1st  Vice President and
2nd
President of the U.S., who prior to these offices  had been ambassador to
several European countries.)

One sentence in the book described the directions to her dressmaker in
London as to making her a gown that was "elegant, but plain as I could
possibly
appear, with decency."  She would have no "foil or tincel about me," she
insisted.  Her dress was of white silk trimmed with white crepe, lilac
ribbon, and
mock point lace over a hoop of "enormous extent".  Ruffled  cuffs, a lace cap
with two white plumes, a lace handkerchief, and two pearl pins  for her hair
completed her "rigging", as she called it.  The book says she  and her
daughter
felt ridiculous at the reception hall in the palace.  They  waited 4 hours to
be presented to the King!  (George III)

The year was 1785..

What was mock point lace at that date?  (Yes, I can look it up, but it  is
more fun to have a discussion.)

Jeri  Ames
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

In a message dated 10/26/2008 1:47:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,