On Oct 27, 2008, at 11:40, Sue Babbs wrote:

Why not use the same fabric the garment was made of if you were looking for ruffles?

Can't answer any of your other questions but am going to have a stab at this one.

The reason, I think is that most dress silk -- especially that used for really "dressy" dresses -- would have been lustrous (satin, very likely). Crepe, OTOH, is matte. So that, even when it's the same colour as the dress, it provides a nice contrast of light and dark. I've seen it done "the other way around" too, with the dress itself being matte but the trimmings (bias finish around the neck and sleeves) being shiny.
--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/