Sue asked about  "white crepe" .
Crepe is a woven fabric with a finely wrinkled surface. I think it's achieved by weaving with very highly twisted warps and wefts.

Brenda

I know what crepe is now. Was it the same then?

How did they apply crepe to make a garment look attractive?

Did they apply flat strips of it like ribbons? Did they have to hem it or did it come in narrow ribbons to start off with?

Did they cut strips and hem them and ruffle them? Why not use the same fabric the garment was made of if you were looking for ruffles?

I haven't a clue but knowing this list someone does!

Sue