Hi Lorelei!

I've got a new kitten - he was rescued from our animal shelter about a month after my old kitty died (in October) from cancer. He was about 14, and I just couldn't stand the void, and so adopted from the shelter. He is a wild and crazy little guy, just full of himself! I keep a water bottle handy to discourage the many things that he does that I *don't* want to become habits!!

But... in my lace room, we have a marvelous co-existence! First, I must confess that while the rest of my house is cluttered, compared to my "office/lace room", the rest of my house is incredibly orderly! So... there is a window in this room, and a small chest (think "blanket chest") in front of the window, and this holds all sorts of treasures, mostly UFOs from previous obsessions... knitting, cross-stitch, needle-point, quilling, etc., etc...). On top of this chest sit two "wreath boxes", which hold lace pillows. My working pillow is right in front of all of that, at the window. So... when I sit down to make lace, "Mr. Giggs" (he's a gigolo) finds me out and jumps up on top of the wreath boxes to investigate. Fortunately, there are bird feeders outside the window, and the traffic at the feeders is very busy... so the boy is fascinated by the feathered activity outside, and doesn't pay me much mind. The only problem was that if I left before he did (which I often do, because he will eventually curl up and fall asleep there...), he would use the pillow as a hop-down to jump off his perch. Since the table that my pillow is on has a tilt mechanism, one day I discovered my Christina pillow with 250+ bobbins tilted at a precarious 45-degree angle where he had jumped on it!!! Fortunately, I had bundled all the bobbins, secured the bundles, and covered the pillow. So there was no harm done - since the dollar-store rubber mat under the pillow kept it from falling onto the floor!!! (prevention, prevention, prevention!!!)

Since that incident, I've learned (cat is training woman here) to move my pillow off to one side when I walk away. So far, so good. And, in answer to the question (... on the pillow?), I continue to work on a 17th century floral Binche edging. I have done a number of Binche handkerchiefs, and all of them have had worked corners. This one is an earlier design, and while the pattern has a corner design included, I've decided to work it as it was certainly done in the 17th century (before corners were worked into the lace), and work this as a straight piece, and then gather the corners. So this may become a very long-term project. It is quite beautiful though!

I confess that cold and rainy weather also kindle my quilt-making energies, and so I have a couple of small (wall-hanging) quilts in progress as well... this cuts into my lacemaking time!
Hope everyone is enjoying this season is their favorite way!!

Clay

Lorelei Halley wrote:
 I'm still cautious about starting
to work because of my two cats.  They are 4 years old and the male is still
very inquisitive and energetic.  He also has no notion of when he is in
serious danger (like when he is sneaking up on my pillow.)