If I have some expensive or particularly pretty thread left and I don't want to waste it, I use it up on a pattern from Suzanne Thompson's 'Torchon Lace Purse Pendants', which has been written so the patterns are easy to vary. I resize them on my scanner to suit the thread I have left, and they can be used for all sorts of things, from lavender bags to purses. I then use them as 'extras' when giving someone a present.

Dee Palin
Warwickshire
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brenda Paternoster" <paternos...@appleshack.com>
To: <rislyb...@aol.com>
Cc: <l...@dont.panix.com>
Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 10:21 PM
Subject: Re: [lace] Happy New Year and a question about thread length

Hello Sandy

I believe I have read
somewhere that there is a formula for determining length to wind onto
bobbins  for
bookmarks. Four times the length of the bookmark comes to mind. Is
this  correct?
It's about twice the length of the lace plus enough for the leash, so
for a bookmark it will be about four times the length of the pattern.

I realize that the workers will need more thread. Is there a formula
for
that too?
If it's a pair that will remain as worker all the way just fill the
bobbin as it depends on how wide the cloth stitch area is.

Underestimating leaves me short and too much thread leaves the  problem
of the next start. I do not wish to have to tie threads for a
beginning.
What do you all do?
I nearly always start with new thread, mostly because I tend to use
different threads, colours etc for each project, besides it's just not
worth the hassle of having lots of joins.  The last but one piece which
I finished I was using shorter than normal threads (because I'd cut it
off and restarted) but the lengths of thread were not long enough and I
ended up with lots of joins towards the end and it was a real pain.
Err on the side of generosity when winding your bobbins it's a lot less
hassle in the long run and as Betty Ann says thread is inexpensive in
the grand theme of things.

Brenda in Allhallows, Kent
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/index.html