Hell all spiders,

Being a hobby for me lace history, I would like to add my two cents to this thread and as a follow up to the phrase said by Tamara:

>“I haven't given up yet (half of the book still to be read) but, it looks, like there's not a trace of bobbin lace in >Venice before 1525. And yet, they were selling it 9yrs later... So, did it spring from the sea, in its finished perfection, >like Venus herself? None of the slow gestation (development) period which could have been expected?”

Spain is almost unknown when we talk of Lace History. The main reason is because there are not written evidences, nor pattern books dedicated to laces of the ancient world. Besides of Florence Lewis May, curator emeritus of textiles for the Hispanic Society of America’s Museum in Manhattan, the referrer we have on laces here in Spain, is the book published in 1076 by Mª Angeles Gonzalez Mena: CATALOGO DE ENCAJES Y BORDADOS (ISBN 84-400-7927-7).

She considered lace as any type of knotting : One or more threads joined together forming a framework by combining twisted or plaited grounds with shaded motifs, following a proper rule created by the craftsmen/women.

Said this, macramé is an early art of decorative knotting. The origin of the word is from the Turkish “makrama”. It was a handicraft worked by Assyrian and Persian, great teachers of this art. Arabs spread later this art for the Mediterranean, including Spain, where we have record of it, mainly taken from sculptures, paints and illustrations as well as historical quotes. So, I keep the theory that macramé, as an early art made with hands, together with passementeries, have contributed to evolve to what we have known later as bobbin lace.

I translate some historical quotes reported on the book of Mª Angeles Gonzalez Mena, all of them make reference to 13th, and 15th, Centuries. One of the ancient lace piece records from XIV cent. Is a corporal (it is displayed in Pedralbes Monastery, Barcelona) which is framed with a gold needle lace. It seems that Elisenda de Montcada, wife of Jaime II (1291-1327) gave it to the Convent. It is also recorded a piece of lace corresponding to a priest vestment related to San Bernardo Calvó (13th.cent.) displayed in Vich Museum, that it is considered as a first example of Spanish lace. It is a work of twisted an interwoven white and gold threads. Other recorded pieces are those found and stored in the burial place of the Royal Family at the Real Monasterio de las Huelgas (Burgos, Spain): Enrique I from Castilla, wearing a needle lace cap. Macramé gloves, worn by Maria de Aragón, as well as 2 filet lace cushions belonging to Sancho, son of Alfonso XI. All corresponding to 13th, century. About 1469, they are described and quoted bobbin and needle lace on an inventory ordered for the wedding of Isabel I Castilla and Fernando I Aragón also known as The Catholics. It is known too that their daughter: Catalina, married with Henry VIII (King of England) carried with her large quantity of laces Spanish style.

It is also well known the success that Puntas de España (the golden thread laces) had during 15th, Cent., contemporary to Le Pompe, if I am not wrong.

It is sure that before Le Pompe, other laces were worked in Italy as it was in Spain, and business deal help to spread all sort of crafts between different European countries: Italy, Spain, France, Antwerp, Germany, etc.

The weddings among different European Royal Families also provide to expanding it.

Perhaps this mail has been sooo long, excuse me.

Carolina. Barcelona. Spain.

____

Carolina de la Guardia
http://www.geocities.com/carolgallego