Hello Carolina and everyone

I am glad you wrote about the Spanish laces, and the macramé.

The Renaissance would not have happened without a paradigm shift; similarly
bobbin lacemaking existed when there was a way of thinking to make it, and a
reason to use it. I have a theory that if one wants to learn how people
think, of a particular culture, learn exactly how they crafted things.
Through lacemaking, in each regional way to make lace, there are clues to
the mind operative.

The origins of lace...one can research costume, employment (viz. the guilds
that made the clothing), trade and commerce (yes, the business deals),
custom from folkways as well as royalty and the priesthood, teaching methods
or in another way, learning methods (out of books? not as we do today - but
not necessarily word-of-mouth, people could read actions, and learn by
doing). And by 'lace' we are talking about the dentellated textile, not the
cord that laces up a garment - or both?

I was working an insertion from one of the folders De Linnenkast,and it
occurred to me when examining the pattern and its complicated repeat of what
seemed to be pathways all over the place, that the person who designed it
probably didn't read - at least in the sense of looking across a line from
left to right. They must have had the skill  to see in different directions
at once.

Fascinating.

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of
Canada