Dear Margot,

I've tried that and it didn't work for me.
What I've made are like giant safety pins - 2 from each plastic coated coat hanger cut in half. Each of these will hold about 32 bobbins, but we are talking close to 400 bobbins here.

I did try that method where I threaded a hundred or so onto one long piece of electric wire, but they didn't come off easily enough.

It'll get easier once I start to throw some out permanently.
Thanks though
David

Here's a hint to help manage the bobbins.  Instead of using knitting
stitch holders, I use extra long hat pins.  It's very easy to slide
one through the spangles, then raise the hat pin to a vertical
position, and stick in the pillow.  You can 'store' many more bobbins
in less space and it's easy to move the hat pins around.  I'm using
some antique hat pins - one of my many excuses for haunting flea
markets - and many that I've made myself using very fine, sharply
pointed knitting needles with beads glued on one end.  They're pretty
too!

Margot Walker in Halifax on the east coast of Canada
Visit the Seaspray Guild of Lacemakers web site:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/quinbot