A few details:  the ground fabric is silk crepe & quite substantial & OMG!!!
some of it has a metallic weft, the effect of which is ethereal.  Over 60,000
visitors saw the exhibit in San Diego last year.  Before you enter the exhibit
there is a short video about Kubota with him speaking at a symposium.  Also
footage of a previous exhibit at The Smithsonian.  There are two pieces of
"touchable" decorated silk shown with his brushes & other tools.  The stitching
is quite simple:  mostly running stitch, some couching & something curly
perhaps knots or couched boucle.  I told a friend in NY that the show is so
beautiful it might make her cry.  It is truly one of those green guide "worth
the detour" occasions.  I'm going again in April & can hardly wait!  Susan,
Erie PA