I found some lovely quality mens handerchiefs on ebay and have them here now for when the lace is ready. First one on the pillow now. Taking it on my travel but will wash and press the hanky before I attach one to the other.
Sut T, Dorset UK

. . . .  You can often
find good quality handkerchief material in 'men's' handkerchiefs. They are usually larger than women's so after finishing your 'lace edging' in a square, cut down the center of the 'man's handkerchief' to the size needed. No need
to purchase the full width of a piece of yardage.

Look for "shirting" as well as for "lawn". Truly-fine shirting is almost as hard to find as real handkerchief linen, but there are still men around who pay thousands of dollars for suits and want shirts worthy of them.

I bought some plaid linen-blend "shirting" because it was on clearance, and found that it was meant for fine shirts -- twelve-inch squares of it make splendid spectacle-cleaning rags, and fit my back pocket better than sixteen-inch men's hankies.

--
Joy Beeson
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/