Yes it is. I have made several garters now, and the last one I used Pipers silk. It looks lovely. As regards expense, having put all those hours and love into the garter, then the cost is relatively small. The reels I bought from Pipes were, roughly, only about £3.00 ish, and although I bought several reels, I probably only used half. It does, of course, depend on the size of the garter though. The other garters I made I used cotton and although they do not have the shine that silk does they look equally good. Having said that I will not do anymore, that is until the grandchildren decide to get married, if they do it by then, of course, then I guess I will be making more. I think if you have prepared your pattern in 2mm diagonal, then fil a dentelle might be a bit thick. I would suggest a finer thread, something like 30 madeira. Again experiment, or use Brenda's book.

I don't think, however, that I will ever get am empty pillow!!!!

Maureen
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sue" <hurwitz...@supanet.com>
To: "Maureen Bromley" <maur...@roger.karoo.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 5:51 PM
Subject: Re: [lace] silk and cotton

Thanks Maureen, that last bit is so obvious and right, but I didn't think of
it, this time, LOL.
there are some very experienced lacemakers out there so hopefully will
either have it all worked out or we will be totally confused by the end,
<grin>

An alternative would be using a colour fil a dentelle, as I have printed out my pattern at 2mm diagonal, or else see about sourcing more silk. I expect
that might be a bit expensive but this is a special piece.
You are right I dont really envisage laundering it as it will be a show and not throw away garter. The cheap one in the box I bought can work for that
if they like.  I am hoping the garter will be handed around the brides in
the family for their something borrowed and something blue. So if I need to
practise my technique with silk and buy some then so be it.
Of course I will pass on any good or bad experiences. It is always helpful
to someone isn't it.
Sue T, Dorset UK

Dear Sue

I have never mixed cotton and silk together and it would be interesting to see the result. However be very careful as they do work very differently
and any laundering (but I guess you don't plan to) may provide unwanted
complications. The only threads I have mixed together are metallics and cotton in pictures. Would be interested in comments from others. If you are prepared to experiment on a small piece and see how it works then do so,
and, of course, let us all know.

Maureen
From East Yorkshire

Update, I have completed my napkin strips and need to sort out my reading
matter and material to make these up oer the coming days (taking a brief
break
before I go for that), but my pillows are all now empty.
My garter pattern isn't ready to begin or my photo frame designed, so i
thought I would attempt to do the S in milanese braid style in silk. Only
my
second time with silk and also my second working milanese braids of any
kinds
so a learning curve in lots of ways.  I hope I can do it justice.

My question for you all today, (what would I do without you all? ) is do
any
of you use cotton threads on a length of lace and some silk along the
edges as
I am considering whether It would work for the garter outer fans. Is this
OK
or a very bad idea?

Sue T Dorset, UK
Bobbin Lace and Glass engravings