Of course you are right, and when working 40 or more hours as well as all the playing at designing time it is worth the investment of a few more pounds for really lovely thread to make it worth being looked after and handed down. I am now awaiting delivery of Brendas thread book within a few days and will decide what threads I can sensibly acquire in white and blue. So it needs to be put back a little until I have the right thread. I have the complete pattern but can decide to increase the grid size a little to match whatever thread I think will be the right one. As a little exercise I just quickly worked out the cost to me of the 4 completed napkin strips I have just finished for my sister, amazingly small. <g> The spool sizes I have just been working with were 1000 metres but I think the silk I have is 100 so obviously more cost. I need to work out how many of those I would need to prepare enough bobbins for one long garter piece. We tried to work out to order enough of the venus thread to work our special napkins last year and still have 20 spools unused, LOL So our counting and working out was way off. I do have some plans that will use more of it up though when time and inclination permit to make a strip of wider lace to attach to a cloth to fit on the table to go with the napkins. I haven't designed it yet, but have ideas of using the thistle in there in a different way but keeping the theme for our table. Lots of half ideas whirling around in my head just manage to catch some of them and nail them down once in a while, <g>
Sue T

---- Sue <hurwitz...@supanet.com> wrote:
It might be time to dive into a trial of silk with the garter and work gently and carefully.----

I'm curious about this comment (work gently and carefully). Silk is a lot stronger than the same thickness of cotton. I use silk often--Gutermann 100/3 (matte, like cotton, but rich colors); YLI & Tire, #50 and #100 (lovely sheen and rich colors); silk buttonhole twist for gimps. It works easily because it's smooth (so it tensions easily) and strong.

IMO, it's well worth the expense. When you think about how much lace you can get from a spool, and how many hours of enjoyment you get making that much lace, thread is *not* expensive. Even if it's silk!

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com