Hello Achim and everybody

The "lathe" you refer to that makes bobbins all by itself, is not a lathe as such, but a computerized machine that turns out lace bobbins by the thousands. Many bobbin makers, including Stuart Johnson, use this machine. If not, they could not make a living out of making and selling lace bobbins. My husband does wood-turning (incl. lace bobbins) on a wood lathe, and each bobbin is made individually and takes at least 30 mins to make, if decorated al ot longer. Any money from selling our wooden items, goes back into buying more wood, accessories for the lathe (such as chisels etc.), we barely make a profit, and certainly could not live on the income. He started making bobbins for me, and does it as a hobby as he is retired.

There are suppliers who will sell pine/beech/lemon wood bobbins that are made by a machine, and these are often used by sellers who paint their bobbins, and they
are cheap.

Agnes Boddington - Elloughton UK
www.sixpennybobbins.co.uk

Achim Siebert wrote:
Still searching for real "six penny" bobbins ... no wonder nearly nobody does exquisite bobbin lace any more. If a project needs 300-400 bobbins and a simple continental one costs 3 GBP nobody can or wants to afford making intricate lace. It would cost a small fortune. Since there are modern turning lathes that make copies of a piece all by themselves I really don't understand those fancy prices.