My previous suggestion was if you don't want to spend any money, but you could buy a square from SMP Lace http://www.smplace.co.uk/sfr_cat.htm (and probably other pillow suppliers as well) who sell spare blocks for block pillows - square ones are 5 and a half inches square and cost £1.50 each plus postage from SMP. They will cut any square of any thickness to order. No connection with SMP - just a satisfied customer.

As for dealing with the joins in block pillows, I have never noticed them because I've always found that the pricking card holds the pin securely enough if it happens to be at the join. If the blocks are pressed tightly enough together, the pins probably pierce something, even if it's only the block cover.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK