I have only ever sold one piece of lace (that I've made myself). It was about 15-20 years ago and I was working on the commission during November/December and could have very well done without the extra work! I did tell the client that it didn't come cheap, and the collar, not especially fine torchon but did need adapting to fit her, cost her 85 GBP then. I thought she had more money than sense, but she was happy with it. I certainly wouldn't want to make 18 matching doilies!

The way I worked out the price was to estimate how long it would take to work an area of the lace the size of a credit card and then see how many credit cards would be needed to cover the pricking. That was based on the old tradition of covering the lace in shillings to fix the price. I think it was 10 GBP per card - more like 20 GBP nowadays!

Fix a realistic price per doiley, a fair bit above minimum wage, as it is a skilled job, plus extra for the materials, and set a realistic time scale for making each one - and I'll be surprised if she doesn't back off!

Brenda