On Oct 12, 2009, at 10:10, Sue Babbs wrote:

In geometric Bucks, the pinholes would go on the pre-existing grid and it would be all straightforward. In floral Bucks they could be moved so that the design flowed well. I don't have enough background knowledge of Chantilly to know what should happen. Should I use the regular pinholes, or should I use ones placed to look more attractive?

Bucks is the only (to my knowledge) Point Ground lace which makes the distinction between "geometric" and "floral". All other PG laces seem to ignore that distinction and use the "stick to the regular ground for as long as is feasible/sensible but the *result* is more important than the measuring tape". Ie, "looks" trump the "rules".

Most of the pin adjustments I've seen are, usually, very close to the motif -- the pins there will skip a ground pin, halve the distance between the motif and the next ground pin, alter the angle, etc. -- you don't want huge, gaping, holes where a ground pin ought to have been. But the overall look is what matters the most.

Actually... This seems to be true not just of PG laces but of every kind/technique, with the exception of Torchon (the Queen of Strait Jackets <g>)

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/