I have found myself in a similar position. I am trying to teach some young
people in their 20's and 30s how to make lace. Even though I make  complex
lace now, I learned so long ago that I don't really remember the  beginning
things or how they were taught.
I learned through a series of patterns which started you off with torchon
edgings. If this isn't, in fact, the exact same curriculum my teacher
learned in  the 1930s, then it is one that she settled on during the 1950s when
one might  make the argument that it was satisfying for the pupil to have
"something  useful" such as an edging, rather than a series of practice pieces,
lengths of  stitches or grounds that were simply for practice, which I think
may have been a  teaching method from around 1900. However, now, edgings
are not all that useful.  People tend not to put them on linens and
handkerchiefs. Also, these edgings  present conceptual problems, since they are
torchon, but so small that you  cannot see the diagonality of the design, and
they
feature, on the head side, a  half stitch lozenge or other device, that is
totally confusing in that it is  worked back and forth, while the rest of
the piece is worked diagonally. I can  relate to their confusion.
I have been studying books, old and new about instruction, and it seems to
me that for the most part, it is an accepted truth in the lace world that
everyone starts with torchon, and only after mastering that, goes on to tape
 laces etc. However, I am wondering if starting with torchon is actually
the best  approach for the current century.
I am wondering if young people today wouldn't be better off starting with
forms of tape lace or free lace that they could quickly use to adapt to
their  own designs.
While the Springett Snake and Gyl Dye's Bookworm start the student off with
 a satisfying back and forth strip, they both progress to classic  diagonal
torchon. The only curriculum I have seen with a free lace  perspective is
one produced by the German lace guild. It is somewhat oriented  toward
children, featuring pieces that are ducks and rabbits, etc. It also seems  as
though it may move rather slowly. This may be good or bad for adults. I do
find
that adults don't have a lot of time at once, or want to spend it, so small
 projects are good. But small projects that move the student forward in
skill  very slowly are perhaps not appropriate for people who want to progress
fast  enough not to lose interest. I confess I haven't started to work
through it, or  to see how it goes with students, since my students, so far,
were
started  on this other curriculum, the one I learned on. They therefore
have the  materials and mind set to progress with it, although, they find it
confusing. I  have a horrible feeling that they may become discouraged and
quit altogether,  since they keep saying that they don't understand the
underlying principles, and  it is totally unlike anything they have done
before. I
feel they are  experiencing a lot of stress as I am trying to help them
follow a color  diagram, already pretty weird with its one line for a pair of
bobbins concept.  But the design is complex enough that you really have to
either use a diagram or  memorize quite a large number of discreet movements.
The younger the student,  the more quickly they seem to memorize the large
number of discreet movements.  But some people never do, and I confess, I
doubt if I could given the state of  my memory at present. (People who have
seen
me work note that I often rely on a  ghost pillow and diagram.)
Another issue is what the student believes she will be learning. On the one
 hand, I am a person who thinks that modern lace, individual design, etc.
are the  shape of lacemaking of the future, and that torchon is a somewhat
old fashioned,  or even, dare I say boring, looking lace. On the other hand,
the students,  some of them, have the conception that they will be turning
out yards of frilly  white stuff. Of course, they are not going to be turning
out yards of frilly  white stuff, or making lace resembling 18th century
lace, at least not for a  very long time, and never in great quantity. But they
are slow to see items like  the snake, book worm or modern free lace as
being "lace". So, in some ways, my  conception of teaching lace technique to
young art students and having them go  off to use it in fantastic modern ways
does not conform to the expectations of  the young art students who are
interested in learning how to make lace.
Ideally, it would be nice to have a curriculum that shows both stitch
diagrams and the international color code system, although that is a lot to
throw at people at once.. Many books do not have the color code, although the
German one does. Books such as the DMC curriculum, from way back, are
entirely in text, which I think must be the hardest way to convey the  process.
How are other people approaching the teaching of lace, what books do they
use, and what are the pros and cons of different approaches and  curriculums?
Devon

In a message dated 4/6/2010 8:18:37 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,