  From: Elizabeth Shipp<mailto:ship...@googlemail.com>
  To: lace@arachne.com<mailto:lace@arachne.com>
  Sent: 04/06/2010 5:18 AM
  Subject: [lace] teaching beginners

  Hi all,

  I have two colleagues who have now started bobbin lace and want to
  continue.  I started each of them with cloth stitch (CTC), just making a
  narrow strip to get the movements and the "rules" of bobbin lace down.

  I'm not sure that I am the best teacher they could have, as once I had had
  the first couple lessons I just jumped in at the deep end and started
  splashing around with great abandon.

  My planning for these ladies is, more or less in this order:

  - cloth stitch ground (already introduced)
  - whole stitch (CTCT)
  - trading working and footside pairs
  - half-stitch ground (CT)
  - braids / plaits (CTCT ad infinitum)
  - various other grounds as needed for their chosen laces;  one colleague
has
  chosen Bucks/Bayeux, one has yet to choose as she just started today
  - gimps
  - working through a series of patterns in their chosen lace(s), introducing
  new techniques

  Does this sound like a reasonable progression?  Am I leaving anything out?
  Thanks for your help!

  Best regards
  Elizabeth

  -