Hi Mark and everyone

What the weaver gave you are 'thrums' (= end waste on the weaving loom) and
the fiber is tencel.
Yes threads vary in size system according to content and purpose. If your
lengths compare to the pearl cotton 12, that is quite fine for weaving! and
coarse for bobbin lace :p

This is a good question, and I don't have a pat answer, it just depends on
the lace design. For passives, you have a measured amount, for weaver/worker
pairs, 'lots'.
However, here are some tips that will help you.

To get the most use out of your 18" lengths, use waste thread at either end
of each strand. One waste-end is the leader around the bobbin, the other
waste end is useful at the start, as a handle for the lace thread during
setup. Further hints below, you might not need to do this if you know the
lengths of the pathways.

Plan on a fringe at either end, then you won't have to deal with knots, and
the piece will look balanced. A straight-across start would be my
suggestion, rather than a pointy one, or, using waste thread in the same
colour tone and size as your feature thread, start the pattern from a bundle
at the point. The knotted section can be wrapped as for a tassle, later. End
the same, with a tassel.

If you have time, make the pattern in some other thread of the same lengths,
to find out how far the 18 inches will go; if you need to be really miserly
at the beginning or not. A quicker way: With colour pencils on a copy of the
pricking, trace a few of the thread paths, and measure the colour pencil
line.

anyway, hope this helps.

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of
Canada