> I don't know much about using wire but I was making a flower yesterday that
has
> to be gathered after laced. I decided to use wire in one area to stiffen it
and
> it turned out pretty nice. The other threads were DMC 40. I used 34 gauge
wire
> for this. It is the first flower in "Flower Fantasy" by Rosemary Shepherd. I
> used the wire in place of the red thread.
>
> Marji

After making several all wire pieces (I took classes with Lenka) I have made
several pieces with wire and fiber combined.  My lifesized 3-D Iris was a
class at the LA IOLI 2009.  this does work well, but do not use Sterling
Silver wire as it will tarnish and you will not be able to clean/polish it.  I
usually use #30-#34 gauge wires.   One can get some great colors, mostly at
online sources.  JoAnn's and Michael's  do carry some of the colored wires but
usually in the larger (too large for lace) sizes.  Another source is the
colored copper wire used in the coil of electric motors.  Old motors can be a
source or a shop that repairs electric motors.

Hope this helps,  Lorri F  -who has used wire in lace as well as when I was a
Manufacturing Jeweler.
PS  If anyone has more questions, I will do my best to answer.