Hi Brian

I found your comments on spangles bobbins fascinating and agree with your
comments. Bucks point is my speciality and over the last 30++ years I have
tried many other types of lace, pillows and bobbins. I have come to the
conclusion that the bobbins and pillows evolved together and, if you use
bobbins with a type of pillow they did not evolve with, they do not work as
easily. Although having said that I prefer using a slightly domed pillow with
spangled bobbins (and definitely not a flat pillow).  However, Midlands
bobbins would have been used with a bolster or square pillow (I assume you
know what a square pillow is?) and the part of the pillow that is worked on is
a similar shape.

I have some very old unspangled Midlands bobbins with bulbous ends, a few have
single heads and a couple with thistle heads that are probably of similar age,
so they may indicate the time when the heads changed. I also have a couple of
this old type with staples, no one has mentioned them so far. Staples were
probably easier than making holes, but are inclined to come out after a time
or break . I was interested about your comment on the difficulty of making the
holes, I have always wondered about it, and now I think about it I can think
of one of my bobbins (one of the small old ones, but probably not as old as
the ones already mentioned)  that has probably had the hole made by burning -
I must check when I come across it.  I would be most interested in your
article about all this as well as the other I have just replied to.

I am using these little bobbins at the moment as I am researching the
techniques that were used for making the very fine Bucks using 160/2 Egyptian
cotton, I may have to go finer.  Then my problem will be pins.  Does anyone
have any comments about the fine pins. Again, these were not easy to make in
the past and very expensive.  How did they get pins sufficiently fine for the
very fine Bucks point, sometimes with 8 pins per cm along the footside?

All best wishes

Alex