I had already mentioned the Huetson book in an earlier post on Tuesday,
when I compared what he said to Alex's different take on it, and neither of
them are the reference I am thinking of.  One of my books is far more
particular about the different types of unspangled, bulbous Midlands bobbins.

I have just looked in "The Romance of the Lace Pillow", by Thomas Wright,
1919, and in that dumps and bobtailed bobbins are referred to as the early
small, unspangled ones.

Later he talks about yak bobbins, which he says were 7inches ling and the
head "some four inches in circumference", or over an inch across.  After a
while these reduced to five and a half inches long (and maybe thinner, maybe
not?  He doesn't say.)

Further on still he talks about unspangled "Huguenots" from Aylesbury and
Thame area, "squat in form, plain to a wonder, and they have no spangles."
Only three and a half inches long.  And Huguenot trollies, the same size with
loose pewter rings.

As far as I can see at a quick peruse, he doesn't mention thumpers, so it's
not this book I am thinking of.

And whether he is right or not, is another matter entirely!

Jacquie in Lincolnshire