Hello All!  Did I miss the answer to the stocking front question?  I recently
purchased some vintage Irish linen toweling, uneven weave 48x52(still
squinting!!) & in the same booth there were cotton knit stockings--pink no
less.  They were quite long, no lace, but a tiny picot edge on the tops.  Were
stocking fronts created to make the "plain" weave ones more interesting or
fashionable with the addition of a lace insertion on the front?  Would the
stocking experts please explain?  Thanks.  Sincerely, Susan Hottle, Erie, PA
still coming to grips with the fall from grace of the modern hosiery industry