Dear Lace Historians,

There is something very confusing about the way this discussion is  going.

My Thomas Wright book, a 1982 reprint from the publisher Ruth  Bean, has a
picture facing page 37 of two long boat-shaped pieces of  lace that I
imagine would stretch from shoe top or ankle to below the  knee (think of the
shape of a tatting shuttle, only elongated).

The exact caption is:

"Periwinkle Pattern

"Two Stocking Fronts.  Lent to the Exhibition of Paris, 1914.  At  the time
the Germans came near Paris, these fronts and other specimens of lace  were
bricked up in the cellars of the Louvre for safety.  Stocking fronts  were
used in Queen Elizabeth's day.  See p. 40."

Text leading up to page 40 is about the August 24, 1572, Massacre of St.
Bartholomew when 75,000  to 100,000 (Protestant) Huguenots  in Paris and
other towns of France were slaughtered.  Many survivors  escaped to England
from
that time until 1598 and the Edict of Nantes.  The  escaping lacemakers
came primarily from Lille and surrounding area.  They  settled in
Buckinghamshire and Northamptonshire, joining Mechlin workers from  Flanders
already
relocated there.  Throughout her life Queen  Elizabeth would have been wearing
lot of lace.  She died at age 70, in  1603.  On p. 40, the text mentions
that a fashion of the period was  the use of stocking fronts made of lace.
Nowhere in the book (that I could  find) does it say the pictured stocking
fronts are from the  Tudor/Elizabethan times.  The stocking fronts pictured in
the book  look to me like they would have been sewn into place on pre-made
stockings  of a much later period than that of Queen Elizabeth.

Now, those who love the **history of costume** - which it is helpful  to
study to understand why lace was made in such vast quantities - know  that
clothing of the period of Queen Elizabeth was made in pieces that were  either
loosely sewn to the main parts of a garment, or were pinned in  place.
(This is pre-buttons, pre-hooks, pre-snaps, pre-zippers,  pre-Velcro.)  This
way, they could be attached to different garments with  ease.  To understand
more about putting together costume elements, go to  the highly-regarded
publications by the late Janet Arnold.  (You can search  her name.)

In closing, I have to ask:  Why not have very extravagant clothing,
including lace stockings, to distinguish the Queen from other people?  Men
were
wearing lace shoe roses, lace knee sashes, and lining the inside tops  of
wide-cuffed boots with laces!   Consult portraits of the  period to confirm.

Jeri Ames in  Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

In a message dated 11/22/2010 3:37:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,