Then...  drum roll...  I discovered lace!  And so for years,  my knitting
(or what was left of it) sat idle in an out-of-the way  place.  When I
re-discovered it a few years ago, the earth had rotated  many degrees,
and charts had come into play!!!  I took to them like a  duck to water!!!

Which is why now... I have a hard time plodding through  the written out
instructions of old lacemaker's patterns like these.   Thank goodness for
diagrams and charts!!!
I guess this just proves that  I'm a newbie after  all!

Clay
---------------------------------------

Another drum roll -- from Jeri!  There are people who like written-out  in
plain language bobbin lace instructions.  My first lacemaking books
included the series from Christine Springett (England).  They are still
available,
and she thought of every type of person's learning preference for  making
lace.

Liberally illustrated with a picture of the finished lace, a pricking to
copy, and a enlarged drawing of the pricking with clarifying notes in the
margin.  Plus a written set of instructions explaining every step for
achieving the pictured results.

>From my experience of learning to make lace in the 1980's, I would really
recommend the following book to any beginner, so she can determine  what her
learning "style" is:  "Lace for Children of all Ages" (72 pages),  which
has the famous beginner's snake, hearts, wedding horseshoes, edgings,
Christmas items.

And, if you have equipment to play it on, get the video "Successful Bobbin
Lacemaking for all Occasions" that was made to go with "Lace for
Children.... ".   I still pop this video into a player when a  beginner comes
visit.  It is very "English", and makes me feel  I've made a dream trip to lace
fairy land.  Starts with how to "manage"  your pillow - thread, bobbins,
cover cloths, etc.  Someone who has  been interrupted for several years can go
back to it for a quick  refresher course.  You can stop it anywhere, and
replay a  section if you don't quite understand.    This, and the book  with
the prickings can get you off to a good start.  If you are not  near a lace
teacher or group, are a busy careerwoman, housebound,  wanting to teach
children, consider this..

Holly Van Sciver (lace supplier in the US) has a special list of the
Springett books and videos at _www.vansciverbobbinlace.com_
(http://www.vansciverbobbinlace.com)

Other Nations:  Remember that the videos made for American  equipment will
not work.  Buy videos made for your equipment.  I  believe these are still
available to you.

Jeri Ames in  Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource  Center