I hope I'm not just repeating what others have said. I feel that books are a precious resource and need to be protected. Paper books are great but expensive to produce and keep in stock. Ebooks in whatever form are excellent as well.

May I suggest that authors keep a master print copy of their books from which they can photocopy extra copies as requested. The buyer should pay for the photocopying and binding (say spiral type) and of course mailing costs. Most copy places can do this with a minimum of fuss.

You should also store your original copies as electronic files such as pdfs and I agree with Brenda store it on a number of computers or servers (floppies, CD's and USB all have their problems). During the 94 Sydney bushfires, the fire came to within a kilometer of my home and my Masters thesis was almost complete. I stored copies not only on my computer at home and the university server (which was also in the path of the fire) but on a server in the UK by sending am email to myself at that address (it pays to be a member of the IOP). And other copies sent as email attachments to children and friends. I think I had about 5 back up copies. With cloud computing making its mark soon you will be able to store your books on your cloud site which should be protected from tsunami, earthquake, flood and fires.

Anna in a sunny Sydney