I am currently reading a book about Rembrandt called "Rembrandt's Eyes" by Simon Schama. In it there is a painting by Caravaggio - The Death of the Virgin - painted in 1605-06. The group of monks that commissioned this painting refused it because Mary has bare feet in it, and the connotation of bare feet was felt inappropriate - even though the Carmelites who commissioned it were an order who went around in bare feet at that time. So perhaps the bare feet of the woman in the painting we are discussing could have had both meanings and therefore open to interpretation.

Nita in Calgary on a cool windy day.