<<We have been bidding on  different items and what I am noticing is that a
few
hours before the end of  the bidding, if no one has bid on the item apart
from
me, someone comes in  and make one bid higher than I've initially offered
but
not too high to push  me out of the bidding.  They then don't bid again.
I've
looked at  the bidder's history and on one item I bought this person has
bid 15
times  and never won anything, yet the book I bought went for £3 but until
an
hour  before the bidding ended it was at 99p.>>

Am I missing something here? I am  confused about what you think is going
on that makes you suspicious. Do you  think the other bidder is simply
running up the price with no intention of  buying? Or that she only bids on
things
you are bidding on?

I think that what you are describing  is "an auction". Two people have
decided what the maximum is that they want to  pay, and the item goes to the
person who wants to pay the most. Is there some  obligation on the part of
bidders to bid early in the process or for  sellers to sell at the price that
the item has sat at for the longest time  at the auction?

The other bidder doesn't know your maximum bid. She  only knows her maximum
bid. She could put in her maximum bid at the end of the  auction when there
is no time for either of you to increase it, and have you  outbid her, due
to the automatic bidding process. That is apparently what  happened. A lot
of auctions are decided in the last hour of bidding. The great  thing about
the automatic bidding process is that you can decide exactly how  much you
are willing to pay for an item  in advance, and then you don't  need to think
about it any more.

Devon