Clay and Devon have got it right.

One of the reasons I leave it to the last minute is, as Clay says, if the item has gone higher than I want to pay, I haven't wasted my time putting a bid on early on in the listing. I also wait because another of the same item might be listed with either a lower starting price or a "buy it now" price I'm willing to pay. At the moment DH is looking for something and has found the same item from three sellers at three different starting prices. He'll wait to see what the first one gets before he decides whether to bid on either of the others or not. If there's likely to be more than one of the book you're looking for it's worth doing the same. There are/have been three copies of at least two different books now/recently. What I can't understand is that a book has just sold for £1.99 having attracted just one bid and another seller has just listed the same book with a starting price of £8.50 - no chance.

The disadvantage of leaving bidding till the end is that I often forget when the auction is ending and miss the item. No use crying over spilt milk - there's nothing I can do about it and it's my own fault for choosing to bid that way.

As Devon says, it's an auction. The highest bidder wins, regardless of when the bid is made.

Of course, if you suspect shill bidding (deliberately bidding the price up to get a higher finally price, which is illegal) then you need to report it to ebay. There's information on how to spot shill bidding:

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/How-To-Spot-Shill-Bidding-On-eBay_W0QQugidZ10000000004031741

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK