There is also a very sad byproduct of the age of lacemakers increasing which
we have seen in the military modeling world.  If those coming in new to the
craft are older with more disposible income they bring with them purchasing
power.  I believe that suppliers should make a profit - it is a thank you to
them for finding the things that I need and supplying them.  However, in the
modeling world we have seen the cost of supplies start to increase year on
year faster than inflation.  I understand that if you are only producing a
small amount of something it costs more per unit than if you make thousands
but a model which cost £10 5 years ago now costs £40.

Why?  Because people
will pay for it.  We went to EuroMilitare (equivilant of the Xmas lace maker
fair that used to be at the NEC for size and venue).  There was fantastic
model on display that was limited to 250 and only available at the show.  I
was in love and really wanted it.  Hubby went to find out the cost and it was
more than we were intending spending on the whole day.  Hubby wanted to still
buy it but I wouldn't because it was inflated and I wasn't going to play.  My
bocoytt was a complete waste of time because they sold out in a matter of
hours.  But I made my point to myself.

I am worried that if the money is
there prices will rocket.  However, I don't think that many of our suppliers
have caught up with inflation.  The first pair of bone bobbins I bought in
1989 were £16 each and this is not far off what we often pay today.

Books
are more reasonable and far more available today.  I am paying the same today
for books as I did for similar ones over 20 years ago.  In fact, many of the
books I bought then are still available and cost the same now as then.

But I
do still worry.

Kind Regards

Liz Baker

thelace...@btinternet.com

My
chronicle of my bobbins can be found at my website:
http://thelacebee.weebly.com/