On 10/17/11 12:21 AM, robinl...@socal.rr.com wrote:

There's also a kind of metal nail that's fairly
thick/long (by nail standards) and has a second ridge
below the flat head.  That makes a decent neck unless
you're using really long lengths of thick thread (the
neck isn't all that big).  Most beginners probably don't
need more than a yard or two on each bobbin, so that
should be fine.  You just need to find out the name of
the nail to get.

http://www.brockwhite.com/0p14i4137c1016/scaffold-nails/
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Prime-Source-16DUP-Bright-Duplex-Head-Scaffold-Nails/155814/Cat/1427

They are called "scaffold nails" -- the double head is to
make them easy to pull out.  The largest size at the local
hardware store is a tad small, but one might be able to
order a pound of a larger size.

They make good bobbins for coarse thread, but could do with
being chucked into a lathe to clean and neaten the neck.
(Of course, that would leave raw steel that reaches out for
oxygen and humidity, and stains thread even before it rusts
-- but one might rub it with wax or paint before removing it
from the lathe.)

Skewer-and-bead bobbins would be good because one can
have the children make their own; it's fun even if one has
no intention of ever making lace.  I once obtained a bag of
seconds of bone beads, which were a lot of fun to play with.
I still have two skewer-and-bead single-point bamboo knitting needles that I use as shawl pins.

--
Joy Beeson
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/