Alex wrote:

< In my experience the majority of lacemkers will follow the diagrams
<faithfully without understanding what is happening and also they believe it
is
<the only way the pattern can be made.

When travelling abroad to teach, a tutor has no idea of the
experience/standard of work that each student has reached and usually relies
on the student's assessment of her competence i.e. beginner, intermediate or
advanced.  When a student tells a tutor that she has reached an 'intermediate'
standard, naturally the tutor assumes that she does not need as much
attention/information as a complete beginner and is fully aware of the basics
so will allocate a pattern requiring an intermediate level of skills.  When
giving a needlelace pattern to a complete beginner, the instructions give a
'route' to travel in laying the cordonnet (outline couching) for the pattern
and there are several different routes than one may take, but I can't draw
diagrams and written instructions for all of them , as this would be akin to
writing a book, but always explain that there is 'more than one way of
skinning a cat'!  This is the basic and first lesson that one learns to do
before actually starting a piece of needlelace - much the same as winding your
bobbins, as you can't make bobbin lace without any thread on your bobbins any
more than you can make needleace, without couching down a foundation on which
to work.

I had a student who was extremely rude to me because the instructions I had
given her did not include the 'route' to follow for couching the cordonnet.  I
told her that if she was of an intermediate standard, she should know this; it
was quite obvious to me that she was a complete beginner.  I offered her a
pattern with instructions suitable for a complete beginner, but she was
adamant that she was of an intermediate standard!  One of the main
requirements of a tutor is that of patience.

Catherine Barley
UK