Alex wrote:    In my experience the majority of lacemkers will follow the
diagrams faithfully without understanding what is happening and also they
believe it
is the only way the pattern can be made.

My first instructor
taught with colored diagrams, thread diagrams and prickings.  She would have
me color diagram a pattern from a picture of the lace first, then to do a
thread diagram before I made the lace.   Yes, it was time consuming - it was
my "homework" before I had my "lace lesson" on the actual lace.   Since I
already knew stitches and my basic rules, she stated make another color
diagram and thread diagram of another variation of the lace.   I would then
change the motifs or change grounds and/or change edges.  We discussed the
changes and the issues at hand, then I got to make the lace.

I really
wanted to make the lace!   So this extra step made me think it through.   Most
often I would do the first lace and my variation.    This motivated me and I
did more lace.

Gunvor taught me Tonder laces.   As I advanced to the most
difficult laces, when I would question areas of the colored diagram with what
was actually transpiring on my pillow; Gunvor would state "you understand the
lace - it needs to be your decision if an extra twist is needed there or even
fits in that space with the tightness of all the threads.   As long as you are
consistent throughout the pattern it will be fine".  She told me our thread
was different (thicker) than the antique laces so we might need to make some
adjustments for it to look nice.  She also showed me on her antique pieces
where the lacer of the piece made changes in different motifs.  Did the lacer
forgot to be consistent or just changed her mind based on what the lacer
preferred?

To me lace is a puzzle for each of us to work through.
Chris
Brill-Packard