Sue,

I'm glad you mentioned the "ghost pillow", putting pins in the
diagram.  That was strongly recommended by Ulrike (Lohr) Voelcker in an Old
Flanders class I took with her; she was also strong on expecting her students
to understand the lace and do things the way they work best, not just
"slavishly" following directions--showing that using a diagram is not
contradictory to understanding the lace.

Someone (Lorelei?) called her
ghost pillow a "voodoo board", a term that ever since I've been enjoying using
as I stick pins in it!

Nancy
Connecticut,
where I've fled south to a house
with lights, heat, water, HOT water, working stove, microwave...aaahhh.
(Power not expected to be restored at home until sometime this Sunday.)

with you more about using diagrams while
>making Binche!!  In fact I go
further, one pin in the lace - pin in the same