If it keeps getting longer, try putting an extra hitch around the neck? It
could be due to some subtle 'un-turning' movement that is happening while
you work with it. If it does seem more loosely wound on than the it should
be, take the thread off and re-wind.

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of
Canada