---- Nancy Neff <nnef...@yahoo.com> wrote:
I've searched the archives but haven't found the answer to this particular
question: I have about 140 bobbins on my pillow, 120/2 thread, and of the 140
one bobbin particular keeps unwinding

Are they identical bobbins?  If you use Midlands, I'll bet they're not.  If
you're using continentals, they still might have slight variations.  Maybe you
have one that doesn't hold thread well.

There are certain Midlands bobbin makers that I love and others that I don't
buy.  The reason is because of the different shapes of the head.  Some shapes
hold the thread well, others let it play out like a rock climber heading
downward.  The difference among Midlands bobbin makers is quite strong.
However, I would expect some continental bobbins hold a little bit better than
others of the same style/nationality.  Within, for example, Swiss bobbins,
there's definitely differences in head shape.  Single-headed bobbins might have
less variation in thread-holding, because they're often just a disk on the end
of the neck.  However, if the disk edge is squared off (the top and bottom
round surfaces meet the side with sharp corners), it may hold thread
differently than if the edge is rounded (not a sharp corner between side and
top/bottom).  Some can have slightly rougher finish or slightly sticky (there
are Dutch bobbins, turned body with a big round ball on the end that are qui!
 te sticky), which could affect the thread-holding power.

If you're using seemingly-identical bobbins, I would mark the problem one with
a tiny bit of paint or nail polish near the bottom tip.  Then you could see if
you have trouble with it on future projects.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com