Dear Friends,
I am currently looking at my lace for dolls book and they talk about a spencer as a jacket made using the same material or similar shade to the dress and ends saying for the spencer jacket. I wonder if you mean chemise, which it says is worn under the corset, back and front are the same. The doll is shown wearing the pantaloons and corset. the book mentions that they are standard articles of clothing and are useful for most period clothing outfits.. Looks a bit like the T shape garment worn since the egyptian times, under all manner of top clothings in different countries.

I recall having lengthy discussions about "spencers" on arachne a few years ago. I'm sure it's all there in the archives (if you know how to access them). I'm fairly certain there were various definitions from country to country, but here in Australia it's a woman's item of clothing which goes next to the skin, has long sleeves and a round neck and is made from a very light weight ribbed fabric.
David in Ballarat, AUS