Children wore liberty bodices and horrible things they were, too!   To me a
spencer was always a fine wool garment worn next to the skin.  It could have
long or short sleeves, round or v neck.  In the days before central heating it
enabled you to be warm and yet look smart without having an extra layer on top
of a pretty dress.  A chemise is something I read about in old fashioned
books.

Patricia in Wales

The name I remember as a kid growing up which went on over my vest (not the
north American version of vest which to us Brits is a v-neck sleeveless
sweater) was a liberty bodice.  It was made of cotton had taped seams and
cloth covered buttons

Just my 2 cents worth.

Malvary in Ottawa where it is only -11c today, but everywhere is coated in
half and inch or so of ice from the freezing rain we had a day or so ago.