Couldn't "camisole" wiggle itself in there among its sleeveless cousins?

Aurelia

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Stillwell" <alexstillw...@talktalk.net>
To: lace@arachne.com
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:03:26 AM
Subject: [lace] Spencer

Many thanks to everyone who has contacted me re: spencer.

I had my doubts about using the term. Several of you confirmed my thoughts
that it was a kind of jacket and I have been given suggestions to use shift or
chemise instead. Looking them up the shift is 14-18th cent. chemise late
18th-19thC. Also a shift usually had sleeves and a chemise can be without
them. As the garment I am making is sleeveless and the doll is in the style of
early 20th cent. unless anyone comes up with something better I'll use the
term chemise.

Again Arachne has proved how valuable it is.

Best wishes to all Arachnids

Alex