---- Sue <hurwitz...@btinternet.com> wrote:
I am considering whether to buy another 18 domed one to replace all three old
ones but when looking in the UK I only found one of the three sites I looked at
with 18 domed, most of them were various sizes of flat round.   I Cant Manage
With The Staw Pillows which are just too heavy for me to lift about or to rest
on my legs which I need to put up part of most days.

I have several options to propose, but they're about relatively easy ways to
make your own instead of buying another on that will go "squidgy" (love that
description!).  The hardest part is getting a circular wood base.  If you have
someone that can cut a circle, then thin plywood will work well.  Or if you can
get someone to make an octagon, that works as well as a circle but is easier to
cut.

1.  My first 'cookie' pillow was made on a plywood base.  Place fabric over the
wood, staple it down most of the way around the wood.  Then use polyester
stuffing (the material sold in bags for filling soft toys) to fill it.  Grab
big handfuls of the stuff and push it to the far edge, keep adding and adding.
When you get it filled halfway across the base, push a whole lot more and
continue stuffing.  When you're sure it's full, push it in some more and
continue stuffing!  When you can't stuff any more, staple the rest of the
fabric down.  It's still a whole lot easier than straw stuffing, and can be
done in a couple of hours.  And if it gets soft in the center, undo a few
staples and add more polyester stuffing.  You can also add a layer of felted
wool (in the US there are stores that sell "Army-Navy surplus" that sometimes
have old wool blankets that can be felted) and another layer of cloth, if you
want more support for the pins.

2.  Another easy cookie pillow is made from circles of the fiber-type carpet
padding.  In the US it has become hard to find, most carpet stores using foam
bits that have been pressed into a sheet.  But if you can get the fibrous type,
cut 3 or 4 circles of it, the largest at least an inch (2-3 cm) wider than the
base.  Make an upside-down pyramid (smallest circle on the bottom, biggest on
top) onto the base, cover them with felted-wool blanket and staple this to the
wood base.  Cover with cloth.

3.  There is something called "industrial felt".  It is a wool felt that is
about 1" (2-3 cm) thick.  I've not made a pillow out of it, but it takes pins
like a dream.  Friends have used it for block pillows.  I believe you could use
this for the upside-down pyramid pillow.

4.  Personally, I strongly prefer block pillows over cookies.  Some block
pillows are square or octagonal, which makes them very much like a cookie
pillow.  But, as someone has already pointed out, it's easy and inexpensive to
replace one broken-down block instead of a whole cookie.  If you're going to
buy a new pillow, I'd recommend getting a block pillow.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com