I work almost exclusively in colour and so I'm continually changing pairs
to suit the design. Having been using Gutermann and Piper's silks for over
twenty years, the most successful and unobtrusive way that I've found to
tie off pairs of silk threads is to use a reef knot and a half:
Left over right, then right over left, then left over right again (or you
can start with right over left...etc).
This has worked for me whether I'm changing edge pairs, leaders or passive
pairs, sometimes many pairs across one row if the design demands it and is
the technique I pass on to my students.
The slightly curious aspect of cutting the ends, is that it pays to be bold
and cut the ends quite close to the knot. If the thread ends are left too
long, then they are more likely to be caught and moved by any working
threads in use over the top of them. It seems to be this movement, rather
than the tightness of the knot tying, that will cause the knots to unravel.
If the possibility of rubbing the knots/thread ends loose could be a
problem, and it isn't possible to protect the knotted ends with a cover
cloth or a piece of soft plastic while work continues, I tend to tie the
ends as usual, but leave the threads long which are then wrapped around a
pushed down berry pin at the side of the work. The ends can then be cut
whenever it seems appropriate.
If I'm tying off several pairs, perhaps at the end of a section then, after
tying pairs individually, I tie them in a bunch:
Take one thread from either side of the bunch, crossing over and under the
bunch, finishing with a reef knot and a half, then with a few hitches
around the bundle with one of the threads.
My website www.sandiwoods.com contains photos of 'work in progress', I hope
to put some more onto it later today, so it should be possible to see how
these techniques work for me.
I hope this is of some help!
Sandi.