I realize that David is really looking for a metal and  magnetic answer to
the space/bobbin continuum puzzle and I wish had something  clever to offer
in the way of an electro-magnetic force field that holds the  bobbins in
some kind of holographic suspension, but taking  a leaf from  Lyn's
observations that people have grappled with this problem in the past,  I am
posting to
the Ning site a picture of some bobbins that I was given. They  claim to be
Valenciennes bobbins and they certainly look as though  they have been
attached to the card they are on for a long time, so  perhaps they are actually
quite old and date to the era of the  fantastically complicated straight
laces. They are quite small, only 2 1/2  inches. I have no idea what they are
like to work with, and since there are only  two, I guess there is no way to
try them out.

Here is the link. You don't have to join the Ning site to  read it. (The
Ning site is free, but requires you to go through a little  certification
procedure just to keep out non-lace people, so it is no  big deal to join it.)

_http://laceioli.ning.com/group/tools-and-equipment_
(http://laceioli.ning.com/group/tools-and-equipment)

Devon