"Celebrating Lace Making Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow" - was held by  the
New England Lace Group on October 20th.  We gathered at The Whistling  Swan
in Sturbridge Massachusetts for a special luncheon. Attendees came from far
and wide.  This was a lot of fun for me, because so many of the women
present had not been together in one place for a long time.  A small  exhibit
room was set up, in which laces made by members was  displayed.  There was
also an impressive exhibit of the Guest  Speaker's precious metal laces.

The Guest Speaker was Lauran Sundin, of Maine and England, known for making
 14k to 22k gold and sterling silver wire lace jewelry.  She  shared
information about her life style as a lace artist,  illustrated by photographs,
during a talk in which she explained how  her interest in bobbin lacemaking
with precious metals evolved from  her weaving background.  We were able to
see images of laces exhibited  last year at the Powerhouse Museum.
International lacemakers may have met  Lauran and/or seen her work at OIDFA
meetings
or at the large Lace celebration  and competition at the Powerhouse Museum in
Australia.  Her work has  also been featured on the cover of the
International Organization of Lace's  bulletin (a new name - Old was recently
replaced
by Organization).

Lauren will be giving a lecture and teaching a class next week at the
Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, in conjunction with the small lace

exhibit on view there.  Stay tuned to Arachne, and you will probably  read
more about it after the fact, from Devon.

I am sorry for this late review.  My time has been taken up by  research
for Lauren.  At the 30th Anniversary, I begged others to write a  review for
Arachne, and my request met with silence.

Please.  Everyone.  Share.

Jeri Ames in  Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource  Center