Do they mean that the embroidery on the applied patch was worked after it had been applied to the background - so the embroidery stitches go through both layers and appear on the back, or just the oversewing that is done to apply the piece?

When we were doing C&G Patchwork, Quilting and Appliqué, we were definitely not taught that our stitching had to be invisible from both sides, and in some cases, it wasn't meant to be invisible from the front, either!

In message <c5bb63fa-bdcc-42ed-8fea-56770ae80...@gmail.com>, "stevieni...@gmail.com" <stevieni...@gmail.com> writes

The embroidery is done by applying motifs of the same linnen of the bedcover with the overhand stitch.

The description is application embroidery.

Someone told me this technique cannot be called application embroidery as stitches can be seen at the backside.

--
Jane Partridge