When I looked at the picture my first reaction was that is was a kind of
needle holder for an embroiderer using several colours.  By having needles
threaded in the required colours it was quick and easy to switch.

Modern holders are flat and, I think, magnetic.  I've only seen them in
photographs but they are designed for a quick change from one colour to
another.

Patricia in Wales

That translation seems to imply it was a scissor type of needle holder.  The
points of the needles seem to pushed in to a piece on the scissors, and to
get one out - one opens the scissors, and removes a needle.

Very odd!!!

Regards from Liz in Melbourne, Oz.
lizl...@bigpond.com