I wash silk regularly, all my nighties and slips are silk. I usually do what David has suggested on some occasions I have even used 'preen' ( a prewash spray on stain remover to remove bad stains. This is a method of last resort, and I leave it on for less than minute before washing the garment.

Contrary to popular belief silk can be a very robust material and long wearing if washed in pure soap (even if you have to grate up a cake of soap), use tepid to warm water (if it is too hot for your hand it is too hot for silk), rinsed in tepid water, final rinse with vinegar (white)or lemon juice (about 1/2 cup to about 5 liters of water) hung up to dry in the shade (here in Australia that is inside).

Anna from a sunnyish Sydney